And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ray Boltz's Confession and its Effect in the Cornfield

This Week we learned that musician Ray Boltz had divorced his wife last year and has confessed that he is gay. I personally do not know Mr. Boltz, but have been the recipient of many distraught Christian’s remarks on his acknowledgment. Most are in mental shock over this story. Several can’t find how a man who has written “Thank You” and “The Alter” could hold such beliefs. Many are simply praying for him.

Now much research has been done on the subject of homosexuality and we could speculate why this situation is what it is. I want to fathom for a few moments, what we ought to consider in this situation.

First off, even adults should not have human heroes. I lost mine a few years ago when I read an autobiography of a man whom I had been entertained by in a long running television show. His life and language shattered the illusion of quality.

Second, we should fathom if we have played a part in this? What I mean by that is we give rise to a person’s pride when we idolize them and put them on a pedestal that only God should reside. If you look at the entertainment industry, there is an overstock of performers who have been pandered to that lack responsibility or character. I don’t believe they started out that way, but all in all the celebration of who they are by the adoring fans has corrupted them. They think they are a god and fans the acolytes.

Many in the past have gushed at Mr. Boltz’s abilities. Granted, he has written songs far better than I could, and sings much better. But I recall several people given to melodrama who almost fawn at the opening bars of Thank You or the mention of his name. To embellish a person, beyond encouragement, is giving them opportunity to stumble. Saul should have never been king. His pride welled up and it destroyed him. Romans one shows how our prideful thinking can usurp reason and lead us on a destructive path of life making God what He isn’t.

I am sure if I gave it the time I could find more things to learn from this event. They seem to happen with quite regularity. But in my pondering how to respond to my flock, it is imperative we also recognize our own sin. In media as in church discipline, the exposure of another’s sin should always remind us that we too are sinners, bound for God’s loving wrath apart from the cross. May we spend time on our knees, for as James teaches, we are all tempted in some form of lust.

No comments: