And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Take a Step Back


As I have blogged before, we need to take time to get away and get alone with God. Unfortunately the first exclamation people make is "I am too busy". I would agree. IF we are too busy to get alone with God then we are too busy. Idolatry has crept into our life and we need to come before God in repentance.

The last few days I was faced with just such temptation. Things came up, and opportunities presented themselves. But alas, I have been in awe of God and His blessing unto me for taking time in His sovereignty to say, I will take the time to pray and leave the rest up to Him. I completed my duties and packed up to go with 9 other ministers to spent a 24 hour retreat in prayer. Mind you, we did not pray for 24 hours, but we sought God.

Here are a few results...
I was able to make sense of a passage in Ecclesiastes that I knw God was speaking from but I could not apply it.

Focused prayer was completed.

Fellowship with other brothers united us in the Spirit, not competition.

Learning where I was wrong on several assumptions, I rejoice at being set right.

Brokenness before God leads to clarity of heart.

Then the kicker...
Today while meeting with my prayer partner back home, a man stopped by the church. he said he was overwhelmed with the fears he was facing and was drawn to stop in as see if he could pray. What happened next was only of God. After a short time of letting him pray by himself, my friend and I were moved to get out of our comfort zone and minister in grace to this man. he had many many questions. All these ewe had already discussed in our own prayer time and as a result of my being away with God the day before.

I could have stayed in the office Monday. I could have read books. My house had repairs to address and time is always of the essence. However, because God was the priority and allowed to fight battles for me, my heart had been filled that I could minister to one who was like a sheep without a shepherd.

What good does it do to do all the good things and have not compassionate love opun the hurting and needy?

No comments: