And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Monday, March 14, 2011

Elements of Worship for Baptist Children: Is Church Boring?



Is Church Boring?

A note to parents

Parents, children are often bored at church simply because they do not understand what is going on. Again, this is the whole reason I am writing these posts, to help us disciple our kids to know the majesty of God rather than looking at Him as a domineering rule maker.

In order to help our kids we need to explain things to them. This may have to be done over and over. They, like we, need to be taught rather that simply hoping that they will pick it up as we go along. Take time before and after, and quietly during the services to walk your kids through the whys of worship. We should teach them a reverence for God. To demonstrate this, we must ourselves be reverent. Be careful of how you talk about church in front of the kids. Never evaluate the worship service in regards to entertainment value. It is not for entertainment, but it is to be a time like no other. All week long we are entertained. But the worship time ought to be a time for us to respond reverently to God. Think of it this way, in entertainment we are the center. In worship God is.

I know that when I was a kid I thought church was boring at times. I liked the music and shaking hands. But sometimes I did not understand what was being preached. So I got bored.

I was bored because I did not understand. When we go to church it is like going to a birthday party. God is the honored guest as we are those who celebrate Him. While there we need to be thinking and expressing how we love God. We need to think about our sin and His forgiveness.

Now I often did not understand what the preacher was saying. I was often distracted. One thing that helped me was to take notes, or to draw a picture of what the preacher was saying. One of the best things you can do is ask your parents about the worship time and what is being done. Since we are to worship God in all that we do you can use this time to think on the ways that during the week you can celebrate God. If you take one thing from the sermon and learn, it will help you to not be bored.

No comments: