And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Why I Find Myself Supporting Tim Tebow


After all my years of teaching my kids why they should not to idolize athletes, musicians, actors, and any other celebrity I find myself “supporting” Tim Tebow. For years I have been thankful for many Christians in the public spotlight, Kurt Warner, John Rhyes Davies, Phil Vischer, George Bush, and only a thimble full of others. And when I say thankful I wish to imply that I have a joy to hear of them sticking to Christ as their hope and joy in the public spotlight.

But, in an awkward sense I am finding myself on the Tim Tebow bandwagon. I am not a football fan, but I am a great fan of not compromising your love relationship for Christ for a few dollars or the spotlight. Over and over I have been disappointed, disillusioned, and just plain dissed by those who say they love Jesus and then accept sponsorships by Budweiser or take on character roles that degrade the personhood of their Savior. (Alas my Devil’s advocate friends will have a few things to say about where a person is in their walk and how I ought not to judge. But we can handle that topic in another post. Let me suffice to say, love sinners, even Christian ones, but don’t take lightly the Name of God.)

Tim has set a great track record thus far. I n many ways I believe that I would have faltered where he has stood strong. There are Tim Tebow haters on Facebook. Websites abound producing false gossip and counterfeit photos. Many of the sports headlines are twisted just enough to create doubt to his character. He is under an attack by the world in ways that I myself am not prepared to stand strong against.

And through it all, Tim seems to handle public pressure well. And that is why I am supporting Him. My support is through prayer. It also involves not listening to gossip, nor making him out to be what he is not. Tim is just a fellow Christian. He is not a “Superstar” or some other fantasy figure. What I believe he is though is someone who is committed to Christ and taking an opportunity to not be ashamed of His Christianity when given the chance to glorify God. We all can attain to that victory.

So when I pray for Tim, I pray that he perseveres. I pray he does not succumb to the hype of his fans or the urges of his handlers. I pray that he remain humbly fearful of God, bold and wise in witness. I pray he has wisdom for each trial and learns to count it all joy, and that the office he holds does not become a burden.

Here is a link that illustrates what I am sharing.

No comments: