And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Thursday, December 1, 2011

Getting the Most Out of Christmas


Dearest Saints of HSBC,

I am at my desk today and working through my annual desire to get the most out of Christmas. Often I find myself wanting to provide for my family and others in ways that would make Christmas extra meaningful for them. As I have been praying today and pondering how to present Christ this season, God has hit me hard. Over the last 24 hours I have encountered people and stories of pain, hurt, and rejection. May "Dreams" have been cruelly dispersed. Christmas can be a difficult time. Many I know are out of work. Some are facing the first season of holidays without their long time spouse. And God is speaking to me. Today I am finding power in prayer for these friends. God has enabled me to talk to some, others text, and to be an encouragement. This is the church being the church. Will you join with me in a few things...
  • Spend extra time with folks and seek their prayer needs. Sincerely pray with them.
  • Be open to God's promptings of the spirit to encourage others.
  • Send me your prayer needs. (perseveringpastor@gmail.com) I do love to pray for you all. I regret that there seems to never be enough time for fellowship. It is in fellowship that we bond and support. So please let me know how I can pray for you this Christmas season.
  • Lastly, please let me know what God is working in your life and through scripture. Are you taking the challenge to share the gospel by January 27th?

No comments: