And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Sunday, January 19, 2014

The Daily Battle


Below you will find the rough draft notes for the Sunday sermon at Ekron Baptist, January 19, 2014.

The Daily Battle
As we battle temptation, and we all do, we all need to be outfitted and trained with a sword.  That sword is the word of God. (Ephesians 6-Armor of God)  One of the best fitting swords for everyone is found is 1 Corinthians 10:12-14.

Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. (1Co 10:12-14)

Jesus prayed that in temptation we would stand;
I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. (Joh 17:15)

Temptation will come, and they have a purpose
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. (Jas 1:12-15)

Temptations are to keep us humble and joyfully dependent upon God.
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. (Jas 1:5-6)

Three things must be present to give into temptation
·         Availability
·         Opportunity
·         Desire

So out of 1 Cor 10:12-14 there are seven  points to keep in mind.
·         If you think you have it all under control you are at the most dangerous point of falling.
·         You are not a special case for temptation, there are no special circumstances, no excuses.
·         God is the One who is faithful, thus, He is the solution to the problem.
·         He does not allow temptation to be more than you can bare. (Caveat)
·         He always provides a way for you to escape.  He enables you.
·         That you can endure.  God does not always remove the temptation, He however, builds the character of perseverance in you.
·         Temptation always has to do with some sort of idolatry.

Even Paul found that this battle was always raging, and that God would provide the grace to stand.
            So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2Co 12:7-10)

No comments: