And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Thursday, May 8, 2008

Right Values and Perspective Get Us To The Finish Line

Right Values and Perspective Get Us To The Finish Line
Its well known that even Spurgeon had fits of depression in which he languished. Several of we pastors have had the doldrums at times. I personally have caused my wife no small sense of foreboding in the ministry as at times I truly have wanted to give up. There have been days that if a good job had made itself available I would have quit and moved on.

But the call of God is irrevocable.

So What has turned me around?
First off, let me set the stage. It had been an incredibly hard year. Even worse that previous dealings with embezzlers, liars, and cultists. People were quitting their positions left and right, walking away from the church and God. To this day many of those have never returned. God used that situation to break me. They could quit and thus dishonor the Lord, but could I? Would I really want to live the rest of my life and stand before God with the turning away from Him on my record? Quitting says "God was wrong, God could not keep His promises".

So quitting is not an option. "God will supply all my needs" kept coming to mind. I then began as directed by God to search the scriptures and list promises for His glory. Mind you I was not looking for promises unto me, but those things by which God has said He would stand by and honor in respect to His name and glory. There are a multitude of these in every book of the Bible. But I can clearly say that Romans 8 became my hallmark. God took pity upon me and made that chapter real. It was not just words on a page or intellect, but it was reality for every situation. I could hurl no excuse, lament no problem, I was set free to give everything up to God and let Him bear the burden. What freedom that is.

Let me encourage you, seek the Lord as I did, asking Him to give His perspective and make the scriptures real. So often we read the Bible as to what’s in it for us, but its meant to be read to look at God.

No comments: