And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Saturday, June 20, 2009

How did Noah look at it?




I have worked in the construction industry. In and of itself it is an entirely different world than most are used to. Just think, the typical home fix it job lasts twice or three times as long to complete as expected and requires two trips to the hardware store. Multiply that thought by Pi for each job subset. Now add the interruption of phone calls, incompetence of others with poor listening skills and or work habits, weather permitting, and you have the construction industry. It would look like this

Finished product = (est $ + Lowe’s*2)*Pi + Press # for more options + (Break time and not my job man) / Acts of God.

Personally, acts of God are your only hope. So getting into this project I had some experiential expectation of what I would encounter.

You see, memorial day our basement flooded. We did not have flood insurance, and the insurance did not cover the loss in any fashion. So Bank of dad to the rescue. After three estimates we chose a contractor and paid a deposit. We have ordered by price comparison shopping all the materials to finish the job, paint, carpet, baseboards, the endless rollers, and odds and ends. All of it stacked in my garage on top of the furniture from the flood. So far I count four trips to Lowe’s. I have rearranged the garage three times to be able to get stuff in and to be able to paint baseboards for the install. My air compressor quit working too. Sounds like I could sing the twelve weeks of remodel. On the first day of remodel my contractor gave to me, much false hope….

The saying is true, “If your marriage can survive a remodel it can survive anything”.

Our house is a wreck. Things are lost. Cleaning merely involves rearranging the deck chairs and turning out lights. The sarcastic joy of it all is that old line “Why won’t he return my call”?

My solution, its all stuff. Wood, hay, stubble. I am fed up with it keeping me from my time with God by rescheduling and false hopes, but isn’t that the point. It is a testing to see will I keep perspective and seek God’s help (acts of God remember) rather than doing it my way. Noah had to persevere too. The main thing was not the ark but the promises and name of God.

Tomorrow, I fight dirty, I will get the church to pray.

No comments: