And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Songs of Perseverance


>My Favorite Songs of Inspiration to Persevere

As I look to perseverance I find that songs that are consumed with scriptural truths tend to be the most powerful. It seems most of the best ones were written several decades ago. Currently I am finding some contemporary songs that wow me too. Tomorrow I hope to share with you a great source for God centered contemporary music.

My music tastes are varied, but to inspire they must be God centered. I personally dislike “In the Garden”, and “Love Lifted Me”. Both seem much of a self centered aspect of I am special above all others tone. Self esteem is promotion of self over God (Remember deny self, take up your cross, and follow Jesus) But this blog entry is not meant to be a critique.

Now, please keep this in mind. I find that we need Christian music for two purposes. One purpose is for pure entertainment. Why should we listen to AC DC, Big and Rich, MC Flavor of the week, or any other “artist” who fails to glorify God but stands opposed to Him? There are times in the car or cleaning house where music is a good background for what we are doing. Mind you the entertaining Christian music we listen to ought to be theologically sound. One contemporary hit has great melody and guitars, but one line talks as if the cross was motivated by a desire to save me alone. That is so wrong, I don’t know where to begin. The cross was all about God showing His nature, not my merit or worth. (I digress)

Then there is the need for music to draw us to the cross. As a caveat, a few months back I attended St. Andrew’s Chapel in Sanford, Florida. This is where R. C. Sproul pastors. As we walked in a small orchestra, strings, horns and an organ played selections from Mendelssohn, Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart. Never had I been so moved by such orchestration. My heart leaped with anticipation for worship. This music was different than that of the general world. It was pregnant with otherness. Music that is soli Deo Gloria ought to be other.

So music ought to draw us to the cross. It should remind us of who God is and who we are in that perspective. Often it should be just like the Psalms, here am I a wicked sinner, I plead for you to hear my prayer. Great worship music ought to have an otherness, but that is not to say it can not include guitars, drums, and choruses. It also should not be solely about how it makes me feel but how does it lead me to look at God?

That being said, here is my list of songs that motivate me to persevere….

And Can it Be, Charles Wesley

Amazing Grace, John Newton

Holy, Holy, Holy, Reginald Heber

Silent Night, Joseph Mohr & Franz Gruber

A Mighty Fortress is our God, Martin Luther

Blessed be Your Name, Matt and Beth Redman

In Christ Alone, Keith Getty & Stuart Townsend

Mighty is the Power of the Cross, Chris Tomlin, Sean Crain, & Jesse Reeves

There is None Like You, Lenny Leblanc

The Wonderful Cross, Isaac Watts, Chris Tomlin, Jesse Reeves and J D Walt

Tomorrow I hope to share a source of some new music that hs been greatly lifting me since January!

No comments: