And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. (Rom 5:3-6)

Let not those who hope in you be put to shame through me, O Lord GOD of hosts; let not those who seek you be brought to dishonor through me, O God of Israel. (Psalm 69:6)



Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Songs to Persevere Survey




A few days ago I was motivated by some great music. I also in that time I was in a store and heard the new Miley Cyrus hit. It is a motivational song that inspires the secular world. It is much like an anthem with a crescendo that holds a tag line of promise. Mind you I have not analyzed nor heard all the song, for my thoughts turned to the motivation behind many songs.

It seams we always sing about matters of the heart. Usually songs have a love motivation, even if it is a motivation for the love of revenge. (I am however excluding the Silly Songs with Larry types)

As Christians I believe that every song ought to motivate by giving glory unto Christ. So I went about asking my mixed bag of friends and acquaintances to please send me their insights as to what songs help them to persevere.
The replies were quite diverse to say the least. So herein I hope to write three articles on the subject. Today I will simply list the responses. Tomorrow I hope to post my personal list, and then on Thursday I want to feature a source of music I have found in the last several months that has greatly motivated me day after day. Remember, we are not to idolize the musicians, but the God and creator of music.
Enjoy!


Artist - Matthew West
Song - “The Motions”
Lyrics - http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/m/matthew_west/motions.html
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dva6-Yu3zkI&feature=channel_page
Artist – Brian Head Welch
Song - “Washed By Blood”
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/b/brian_head_welch/washed_by_blood.html
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zhjbjHUWrQ
Artist – Demon Hunter
Song - “My Heartstrings Come Undone”
Lyrics - http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/d/demon_hunter/my_heartstrings_come_undone.html
Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFvZJECemdA
Rescuing men ~as~ God rescued us,
Kurt St. Louis


A song that played a big part in my life at one point is "Have Faith in God". The second verse burned into my brain... "Have faith in God when your prayers are unanswered." I was a growing teenage boy praying that his Dad would stop drinking and come back to church. That prayer was never answered until just three weeks before he was murdered (in 2001).
I am also very fond of "It is Well" when during hard times of life. Mom used to sing it at our family piano when she was discouraged or down. Lisa Keune sang it upon request at Dad's funeral.
Fred S. St. Louis, MO

Loving God Loving Each Other - Gaither Vocal Band
Find Us Faithful - Steve Green
God On The Mountain - Lynda Randle
My heart was also on songs that inspire faith this morning....God at work
Love ya brother,
Sid St. Louis, MO

There is only one song that is constantly on my mind...Amazing grace. I either hum, or whistle that one all the time.
Dad

Song 1: The Motions by Matthew West. So many times I feel like I'm living the comfortable American life and I wonder if I'm missing the point. Am I too comfortable? Taking life too easy? Do I need to get more 'dirty?'
Song 2: Jesus Freak by dc Talk. My all-time favorite song. When I die, I'd hope people would look at my handsome body in the casket and say, "He was a Jesus Freak." I want to be an "ardent enthusiast" of Jesus Christ.
Song 3: While I'm Waiting by John Waller. Sarah and I don't know what the future holds and this song is a good reminder for us to worship Him while we are waiting for Him to give us the desires of our heart.
Song 4: Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw. I'm a dreamer and I want to live each day to the fullest (hey, it's biblical, we don't know what tomorrow holds!)
Okay, I know you said 3 songs, but I threw the 4th one in there for extra points.
I was hanging with my teens the last couple days and I busted out a quote that I first saw on your bedroom door many many years ago, "He who hesitates is lunch!"
Have a great one,
Dale Jr. hawaii

Not in order necessarily but these are the first 3 that came to mind.
"God is in Control" Twila Paris
"Testify to Love" Avalon
"Lord of Eternity" Fernando Ortega
God is in control, He is the Lord of eternity and He loves me I'd never make it as a preacher
Joe North Georgia

I can't remember the title of the song, but a line is My faith looks up to thee thou lamb of Calvary. I'm sure you have heard it. Hope this helps your search.
Patsy St. Louis, MO

Well, top of the list: I Now Live Remixed, by Crystal Lewis (“I now live because Christ died, and though he had suffered, he suffered it all for me.”) Get’s me going every time I hear it.
Number two: Jesus is Just Alright, by DC Talk – This song is just a rockin’, I’m-glad-I’m-a-Christian kind of song
Number three: Child of Eden, by Joy Williams (“I’m a child of Eden, I have been; but I won’t look back, It’s just my past, the story doesn’t end”) great song reminding me of my future when I spend too much time on my past…
Grant, Springfield, IL

1. “Amazing Love” by Charles Wesley.
2. "It Is Well with My Soul" by Horatio Spafford
Johnny, St. Louis

Aint No Grave by Russ Taff; You Are My King by Newsong; Shackles by Mary Mary
Roger Jacksonville, FL

SLOW FADE Casting Crowns
FROM THE ALTAR TO THE DOOR Casting Crowns
Tom Atlanta, GA

No comments: